If you led a class discussion... (See Honors Contract details and due dates)
Name the topic of your discussion and the date you led it. Also describe your process of preparing and how you feel the discussion went. (minimum 250 words)
(Skip a line between paragraphs.)
(Skip a line between paragraphs.)
I decided to take on leading a discussion for one of my honors assignments. I decided to lead a discussion based on the book Black Is The Body by Emily Bernard. There was this question we were given for pages 84-110 that I had been thinking about nonstop. It was a question asking us what our first experience was with race and how we had felt about it. I was really intrigued to see what other stories would be on it, so I decided to have my “mini-class” around that topic.
ReplyDeleteDecember 8th was the day I had planned to have it on and to say I was nervous was an understatement. I was terrified. Maybe that’s a bit of an over exaggeration, but I was pretty scared. The planning process was simple, I already knew what I really wanted to talk about so that was no issue. The problem I was scared of facing was the topic. Racism can be an uncomfortable thing to talk about for a lot of people, so I was nervous that I would run into this issue and not know what to do.
After the few days of planning and mentally preparing myself the mini-classes came and went. I decided to host 2 classes to hear more people’s stories. I think in the first class I was a little shy, but I was so glad that people weren’t too hesitant to tell their experiences. I think the first class was less hesitant to tell their stories while the second class was a little more shy in the sense of telling their experiences. Overall, I thought both meetings went a lot better than I had expected. I loved hearing everybody's stories and It was cool to learn a little more about my classmates. Would I do this again? Maybe! I think it was a good experience for me to speak up and hear others ideas. I think in the future I want to speak up a little bit more. I noticed there were times I hesitated and didn’t know what to say, so if I were to do this again that’s what I would probably want to work on.
These mini-classes taught me a lot about my peers and myself. I think it was interesting to learn these personal stories and what emotions each person was going through while telling them. It was a fun experience, and something that I hope I hold onto throughout high school.