If you memorized your lines for a ten-minute play...
Name the play, its author, and reflect on the process and product. Blog post is due 2 days after you perform. Minimum 250 words
(Skip a line between paragraphs.)
(Skip a line between paragraphs.)
I performed the play “Purpose of the Moon” by Carrie Luft. I think memorizing this turned out to be a lot harder than I imagined. I played Fish (short for Wendy Fisher) who is an outgoing and quirky kind of girl. I found myself relating to a lot of the things she had to say. Giving relationship advice but never actually going on a date, related to me a lot. I think it made the process a little easier, but I still found it challenging. When performing, I found myself freaking out and looking down at the lines, even though I had them memorized. I think I was scared I was going to mess up, so I looked for reassurance.
ReplyDeleteI would like to say that I looked more at the camera then at the script, even if it was hard. I think something I could do better next time would be to relax. As difficult as it was for me to, I think it could have helped me in the long run.
A technique that I found helpful was when my mom and I would record us saying all the lines, then when I took the bus to the soccer game or just whenever I had free time, I would play the audio clip and say my lines out loud at the same time. I thought this technique worked pretty well and I would use it again. I think next time however, I would rather than talking over my lines on the clip, I should pause it at my cue. I think that would have worked better, but I still thought it worked pretty well my way.
Overall, I had a lot of fun performing, and even though I didn’t fully get all my lines down, I still had a great time performing and I wouldn’t be opposed to doing it again.
Hi Liv! I really enjoyed reading your reflection here. I thought it was cool how you made a personal connection with the character you played, and how that affected the process. I found what you said about freaking out even though you memorized the lines to be very relatable because, even though I have only done a very small amount of acting in my life, every single time I have felt that same way. I also thought your technique for memorization was cool because I have used a very similar technique in the past. For my bar mitzvah, which is a Jewish coming-of-age ceremony, I had to memorize an absurd amount of Hebrew. The only way I was able to do it was by playing recordings of what I had to memorize on repeat almost 24/7 and mimicking it either out loud or in my head, similarly to how you described memorizing these lines. In addition to your reflection here, as an audience member of your play, I thought you did a very good job with your memorization and overall acting.
Delete