If you presented a slideshow about an author's life... (See Honors Contract for due dates.)

1. Name the author you researched. 
2. Describe how you feel about the process and product. (minimum 250 words) 
3. Post a link to the slideshow.

(Skip a line between paragraphs.)

Comments

  1. I researched Sandra Cisneros, the author of our current book, The House on Mango Street.

    Ever since English 9, I have had an interest in learning about minorities and immigration, and this project gave me an opportunity to read about someone's experience pertaining to those matters. Although it took a fair amount of work, I really enjoyed this project, and I am proud of the product I created. For me, the most stressful part of it was recording the presentation of the slideshow, because I tend to stumble words a lot. I think my final project turned out good, but I had a few rough spots in presenting it. I was also really nervous to do this, but soon discovered it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. One problem I ran into while doing this project was uploading the video to turn in the assignment, but I found ways around that.

    Researching about Sandra Cisneros was fascinating because I did not know anything she wrote except for The House on Mango Street. In doing my research, I found many online interviews, and they were especially helpful in understanding Sandra Cisneros and the thoughts behind her writing. It was also intriguing to learn about how much her own past experiences reflect in her writing. Honestly, I would love to purchase some more of her books soon. I am glad I made the late decision to research Sandra Cisneros, as now I know who she is, and how much she has been through.


    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ipodsXfrVpnV3aJDnjVYkDx4ut3Ie2Ej/view?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katelyn! Let me start out by saying that I thought your presentation was really great. Right in the start of your reflection you talked about how ever since English 9 you had been curious about minorities and immigration. I could be wrong, but I’m assuming the book that sparked this was Enrique’s Journey. This book also sparked an interest in me, although I’m sad and a little embarrassed to say that I never pursued that, unlike you. Something that I learned from your slideshow was that Sandra Cisneros has that writing workshop; I thought that was really cool. I also didn’t know that she had written books other than The House on Mango Street. Overall, good job!!

      Abby Egner ( for some reason it logged me out and I don't know how to log back in)

      Delete
  2. When I began my research on Poet Laureate Louise Glück, I knew that I would learn some interesting things about her life and what inspired her poetry. But what was most surprising to me was that in reading some of her poems I actually became inspired myself by the way she used language. Louise Glück is a master of using different points of view in her works. I thought it was fun reading her works when choosing what to highlight in my presentation. The ones I found most interesting were the ones that had a really creative use of perspective and imagery.

    I am very pleased with my final product because I feel that I was able to clearly explain many of the things I learned about Glück. I included a variety of topics and think that anyone who views the slideshow will learn a lot about her background, her poems, and her accomplishments.

    I hope all my classmates enjoyed my presentation and from reading their responses it seemed like they got a lot out of it. I tried to create questions that would make them dig into the poems and consider the types of poetic devices that were present in her poems. What I thought was really interesting was that many of my classmates were able to relate her poems to current events or different topics in their own lives. I think Glück would be really pleased to know young people were reading her works and reflecting on them like my classmates did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Insgm7eAWkwwpLPtXFJK0dheAx_BlXK/view?usp=drive_open

      Delete
  3. I did my slideshow on J. D. Salinger, author of my Book Group’s novel, Catcher in the Rye. The actual process of researching for and writing this presentation was not overly difficult, as the information I hoped and/or needed to find was for the most part readily available. There were, however, some difficulties, for example the fact that due to the reclusive nature of Salinger, particularly after 1953, it was difficult to find specifics on the latter half of his life. In addition, the relatively limited pool of works by Salinger made it less than trivial to fill more than a few slides with information about them. On the whole, however, finding the information I needed was not too challenging. However, that is not to say I am overly proud of my work. I put off getting started on it until the day before it was due, and even then I only gathered information, rather than actually starting the slideshow itself. As such, the end result was less than stellar. Perhaps the biggest consequence of this was my relative unpreparedness for actually presenting, which I am sorry to say showed through more than a little. For most of the slides, I didn’t create proper notes, and simply read off what was on the slides themselves. In addition, I hadn’t prepared answers to the questions I asked, which in retrospect was a massive oversight. Add to that the fact that I am inevitably stressed by and terrible at presentations of any sort, and the result was what you might expect.

    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1JMuLCAtpLh4lEEcllTQov_FnSE9hAXUuAj-glJYTthU/edit?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I researched Markus Zusak, the author of my honors book group book, The Book Thief.

    This process was interesting to me, somewhat difficult and at times, incredibly frustrating. The research process was fairly easy until I hit a single roadblock. Besides wikipedia, I could not find anywhere that said where he went to college. The day before it was due, I finally figured out how to find the information, and that was by looking up his college’s notable alumni. The rest of the research was easy and I had to problems accomplishing that. I did struggle a little bit with coming up with open ended questions to ask, but that turned out to be alright. The most frustrating part occurred when I tried to use screencastify. It wouldn’t load, or it wouldn’t save or the video just wouldn’t start recording at all. Finally, finally I had gotten it to go fine, and then I tried to pull up my speaker notes to read off of, and it stopped working again. I spent the rest of my night writing notecards and I got up at 5:30 the next morning to record it.

    It was interesting to learn about Zusak’s life because The Book Thief was the only thing of his that I’d read. It was neat to learn about how his parents influenced him so much and inspired some of his stories. I think that I would definitely want to read his other books, because during research I read summaries and they sound quite interesting. Overall, I would say that my experience of this project was a six out of ten. It would have been closer to a nine had I not had so many problems with screencastify.

    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1MdJkZmrmDKGNXC67SfU9jThjYKkDmx7VaEL287tk5w4/edit#slide=id.p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby. I didn’t see you're screencastify video, but the presentation you gave during our group meeting was really good. I learned a lot about Markus Zusak because I didn’t know anything about him before. Your information was well explained and laid out. The questions that you asked made me stop and think. I thought they were very good, even though you struggled to come up with them. The question that made me think the most was the one about how your parents inspire you. It was hard for me to come up with a specific answer. Of course my parents inspire me, but it took a little time to realize exactly what they inspire me to do. Overall I think this was a really good slideshow!

      Delete
  5. I researched William Shakespear, the author of the book, Romeo and Juliet.

    William Shakespeare is an author that feels really far from me, even if I have read his book already. At the beginning of this assignment, I had no idea what I should mention on my slideshow and how I could make the information powerful but not too complicated to understand. I know a lot of people put so many things on their slideshows and they just read it, which is unnecessary and a waste of time, so that is one of the points for me on my product. Accordingly, I put all the things on a piece of paper and printed it, and when I was recording, I basically just read the things on the paper.

    The research was pretty interesting. The more background stories that I found, the more I understand Shakespeare. I was impressed by his road to success, which affected the centuries after his death. The two questions that I posted about Romeo and Juliet were very appealing to me. I was surprised about the different versions of the book, and I couldn’t imagine what would happen if some parts of the book are deleted or changed. Even though eventually I didn’t have the chance to show my classmates my work, I got the knowledge about him and it was intriguing to know a well-known person’s life.


    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1aOEhk7cg0AQk7XdU-x-ugFPmVJQD5Da5sjJU1whVeXg/edit#slide=id.p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I researched Charlotte Bronte, the author of Jane Eyre the book I read for my book group.

    While researching her I found it so interesting to dive into her life and see all the events that she went through. I was definitely very nervous to present it to my group mate and teacher but it turned out alright and I’m proud of myself. Having to do 10 slides was quite a lot to find unique things that fit well but after reading some articles, I found the things I needed to complete my slideshow. It was interesting to see the life of Charlotte on a slideshow I created, it was fun.
    The hardest part of it for me was figuring out what kind of questions I was going to ask. I had to really think about that for a while and make sure that it was a question that could be answered fine. And I also had to make sure I didn’t ask the same question twice by accident. Another hard part was making sure that I wasn’t too repetitive and had at least somewhat different information about each slide. I ended up having different groups of slides having mainly the same information just more spread out.
    I’m glad that doing the slideshow wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. It gave me a good challenge that made me try to do as good of work as I could. If the slideshow had had a lower minimum number of slides like 5, I don't think I could have put as much thought into it as I did.

    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1a78KcknDqnECpNl9LrG4o5uhhiPN21uGAuuNNhvG2AY/edit#slide=id.gb4f465362f_0_45

    -Abigail Dixon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I researched Charlotte Bronte, the author of Jane Eyre.

      While researching her I found it so interesting to dive into her life and see all the events that she went through. I was definitely very nervous to present it to my group mate and teacher but it turned out alright and I’m proud of myself. Having to do 10 slides was quite a lot to find unique things that fit well but after reading some articles, I found the things I needed to complete my slideshow. It was interesting to see the life of Charlotte on a slideshow I created, it was fun.


      The hardest part of it for me was figuring out what kind of questions I was going to ask. I had to really think about that for a while and make sure that it was a question that could be answered fine. And I also had to make sure I didn’t ask the same question twice by accident. Another hard part was making sure that I wasn’t too repetitive and had at least somewhat different information about each slide. I ended up having different groups of slides having mainly the same information just more spread out.

      I’m glad that doing the slideshow wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. It gave me a good challenge that made me try to do as good of work as I could. If the slideshow had had a lower minimum number of slides like 5, I don't think I could have put as much thought into it as I did.

      https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1a78KcknDqnECpNl9LrG4o5uhhiPN21uGAuuNNhvG2AY/edit#slide=id.gb4f465362f_0_45

      (this one has the correct spacing) -Abby

      Delete

Post a Comment