YWP for 2nd Quarter: due Fri, Jan 8 by 8pm

Post the title of your piece here. Also name and paste the full prompt, and pate a link to your piece on the YWP website. For options, see https://youngwritersproject.org/challenges20.

Comments

  1. Title: Countless Corners

    Prompt: Maze. Imagine you are lost in a maze … You’re on your own from here, it’s up to you! What kind of maze (Halloween corn, estate hedge, twisting brain)? Why are you there, what is your end location or goal, and how do you escape?

    Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/35965

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like how you used a maze as a metaphor for your life. Life can feel like a maze sometimes. There are happy moments, that feel much more like a treasure chest, as you described, and sad moments, that often feel like a dead end. As confusing and frustrating it may be, we have to keep moving on, we have to persist, and we have to stay strong, so eventually, when the time comes, we can find the exit and feel proud of ourselves for making it through the complicated, windy maze that is life. I also liked the short anecdote from your brother that you added at the end. What he said was quite wise and, when you think about it, true. In our lifetimes, we will never truly reach the end of the maze and walk out of it, but we will get close. When our time comes, once we pass on, that is when we truly exit the maze.

      Delete
  2. Title: Seasons Change

    Prompt: Grateful. What or who are you most grateful for? Write a thank you note, a poem of appreciation, or a gratitude list.

    Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/37525

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Addy. I'm surprised that you choose to be grateful for the seasons. Your description and the switchings in four seasons are awesome. That's the beauty of nature, which influences us every day, and goes through our entire lives. While we're waiting for the season changes, we're tired of the current situation.

      Delete
    2. I really liked how you included examples for each season, the hot cacao for winter and the pumpkins for fall, it made me be able to envision each season and the weather that comes with them. I would not have expected you to write about being grateful for the seasons, but when I think about it, it is something that I am also grateful for. The change that comes with the seasons is always refreshing and feels like it gives way for better things to come.

      Delete
  3. Title: The Scar

    Prompt: Scars. We all have scars, both physical and figurative. Tell the story behind a scar, either your own or your character’s. Include the aftermath if you like. Were there lessons learned, an epiphany, a transformation?

    Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/37907

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael! I really liked this because I was only a kid who would do something reckless for the sake of fun and curiosity. I have so many scars on my knees from climbing on something I shouldn't have or trying to bike with no hands and falling. Looking back on all the moments is pretty funny knowing how dumb you were as a kid. I remember one time when we were little and playing at a frozen stream that I was sitting in a tree branch while you were walking on the ice and the branch broke and I fell. Looking back it was definitely not a good idea to do it but we had fun and laughed about it. Being a kid was all about getting hurt from dumb stuff.
      -Abby Dixon

      Delete
  4. Title: Definition of Secret

    Prompt: Secret. Write about a character who has a secret, or about a secret you once held and later revealed.

    Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/38071

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madelyn! When I read the prompt that you chose, what I read was not at all what I was expecting. I loved it nonetheless; it was very comical and made me laugh, especially the line “So, obviously, they should update the definition of secret.” This is by far the best definition of secret I’ve heard to this day, as it’s the truest. Because you’re right. Is it really a secret if you don’t tell your best friend? And are they really your best friend if you don’t tell them secrets that you are made privy to? I like how you said that it wasn’t human nature for someone to keep a secret to themselves.

      Delete
    2. I really liked how you took the prompt you were given and answered it in a way that I didn’t expect. I liked the way that you ended the piece, saying that maybe the definition of a secret should be updated. I think that this is true, because once you tell someone a secret, it doesn’t really make it a secret anymore, and almost all secrets are known by more than one person. Like you said, it is almost like human nature to want to share a secret with someone close to you. And once you do, it's not really a secret anymore.

      Delete
  5. Nolan Pepe

    Title: Predicting and or Knowing the Future

    Prompt/Challenge: General/Free Write

    Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/38147

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nolan! I definitely relate to this. It's like when you get the weird deja vu moment but it never happened in real life only in a dream which is even weirder. Those are also the most confusing because you sometimes can’t remember the dream where the moment happened so you just wonder “did that really happen? Was that a dream? Did I make it up?” when I was little I most definitely tried to predict the future but maybe since we had a dream about a thing we subconsciously made it happen and then were so confused why something happened that you dreamed about in the past.
      -Abby Dixon

      Delete
  6. TITLE: Calm in the Evening

    PROMPT: Nice

    LINK: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/38229

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby, this piece was really pretty and it gave me a sense of calm reading it. I like how you referred to the picnic blanket as out of place and also said that you tried not to disturb the evening. These lines made your little picnic stand out in this great setting that your poem was able to paint in my mind. I also think you did a good job with how you formatted and spaced your poem. Liked the little pairs of lines each describing one component of the screen. My favorite line over all was definitely "being careful not to disturb the lovely, peaceful evening."

      Delete
    2. Hi Abby, I really liked the imagery your piece had, and the feeling of calm it gave me. I especially like you line, "The grass blows in the gentle wind," as I love to think about being outside when it is that calm and quiet. I liked your grouping of words, and I also enjoyed the last line, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." I think it showed a message of the poem being about some kind of simple enjoyment, and I thought that was nice.

      Delete
  7. TITLE: The Tree

    PROMPT/CHALLENGE: General
    Write about anything in any genre!

    LINK to YWP SITE:
    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/38276

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked reading your piece as most of your writing pieces never fail to capture one's mind. This one was no different for me. I didn’t see it going the way that it did but that’s one of the reasons that your writing is so unique and interesting to read. I can’t think of another person that is capable of making a captivating story about a tree wanting to move. The details that you include make it all the more real sounding, really planting the reader in the story and the setting. Both of us somewhat write in a conversational style which I appreciate, but I know that some people don’t love it, just something that I noticed from reading some of your writing.

      Delete
  8. TITLE: A Blip

    PROMPT/CHALLENGE: Treasure. “One person’s trash is another person’s treasure,” so the saying goes. What is something “junky” others might throw away without a second thought, but that you hold onto. Why? How did you receive or come across this object(s)?

    LINK to YWP SITE: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/38277

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isaiah!
      I always envied people with collections. When I was younger, I wanted to have a collection of my own so bad but I found myself losing interest in the things I would want to collect. I find it so cool that you still have your collection of little broken electronic things so you can always look back at everything. I especially like your last line, " I still have the bin of stuff just in case because you never know."

      Delete
  9. TITLE: Home

    PROMPT: General/Free Write

    LINK: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/38278

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liv! I love this little story; it is very relatable. I like how you list the places that your heart lies, instead of just saying something generic along the lines of, my heart lies in other places. It gives the piece a lot more imagery. I agree 110% that my heart doesn’t lie at my house, it lies in a lot of different places, all around the country. I like that you are okay with your heart wandering as of now, and that you aren’t sure if you will ever find a spot where your home and heart coincide and that you’re okay with it. It was a really sweet piece!

      Delete
  10. TITLE: Jazz

    PROMPT: Revelations

    LINK: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/38288

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nolan Pepe
      I liked how you said that you were beginning to understand what life is all about, in that, you found something that you really like and your life wouldn’t be the same without it. Few things in life mean so much to people as to completely make you forget about your existence for a couple of minutes. It’s interesting to think about how powerful something like music can be to so many people. Also, the details you used helped me better picture what was happening. This is just another example of it meaning something special to someone and somewhat changing his/her life.

      Delete
    2. Hi Marshall,
      I really like how you wrote this piece. You painted such a clear picture of the narrator's internal response to the music. The way you described what the narrator felt, rather than the jazz club itself, I think was a nice touch. I especially like the line, “It was almost like I wasn’t even conscious of my existence,” because it really conveys just how deep the narrator was in the music of that jazz club. Although I personally have never been inside of a jazz club, reading this made me feel like I was the one sitting there, fading into the music.

      Delete
  11. TITLE: Oak Tree

    PROMPT: Revelations

    LINK to YWP SITE: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/38293

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The imagery here is great. I was able to picture this scene clearly in my mind using just the words you used to describe it. One thing I particularly like about this piece is how you described how you keep your head down so as to not spoil the beauty of your destination. I think that's nice, and I can understand why you would do that. It is really nice that you have that spot that you can access so easily whenever you want. I would love to have such a beautiful view of the lake. I really enjoyed reading this piece, it reminds me that we should all focus on the little things in life and appreciate them. A nice place to relax and be able to be alone with your thoughts and the sounds of nature surrounding you is so, so valuable.

      Delete
  12. TITLE: Messy Room

    PROMPT: General/Free Write

    LINK: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/38296

    -Abigail Dixon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby!
      I love this poem! I especially like the line "But who cares, right?
      At least it's clean sometimes..." I always try to keep my room clean but it always ends up messy all over again, kind of like the "cycle" you were referring too. This poem is very relatable and after reading it I am now inspired to keep my room clean!

      Delete
  13. TITLE: Revelation

    PROMPT: Revelation

    LINK: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/38327

    -Katelyn Johnson



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katelyn! I agree that family is one of the best part of our lives, and it's impressive that you did a slideshow for the birthday present. I somewhat understand the feeling of being in a huge family that you hardly ever see everyone at the same time, but at the moment when we see and be with each other, we can feel a sense of belonging.

      Delete

Post a Comment